Bargi Tourist Places, Madhya Pradesh, India
Bargi Dam is believed to be the first dam to be constructed completely among the 30 other major dam projects on the river Narmada in Jabalpur district in Madhya Pradesh state in the Indian continent. The geographical coordinates puts this place at 22056’30’’ N and 79055’30’’ E.
History of Bargi
The construction of the dam took place in the year 1974 and finally completed in the year 1990. Due to the existence of the Dam two big irrigation projects by the name Bargi Diversion Project and Rani Avantibai Lodhi Sagar Project has been successful. The Central Water and Power Commission put forth the proposal in the year 1968. The irrigation project covers an area of 2,985 km2. The hydropower generates a capacity of 95 MW. Later another scheme came into existence which provides irrigation to a total area of 4,375 km2. The Bargi Dam is 70 meters tall and stretches to a length of 5.5 km.
People & Culture in Bargi
The place where the Bargi Dam is located, has a rich and diverse culture with people from all religion, caste and sect reside in and around the reservoir. The languages spoken by the people in this region are Hindi and English with Hindi being the official language.
Many festivals such as Sri Krishna Janmasthami, Navarathri, Diwali etc., are celebrated in a grand way throughout the locality.
Agriculture is one of the main occupations of Bargi region. Different crops are grown depending on the changing seasons.
Food and Shopping in Bargi
The place offers a wide range of Multi – cuisine, vegetarian and non- vegetarian.
The place where the Bargi Dam is located is renowned for its magnificent fine arts and crafts.
Tourist Places in Bargi
A cruise by the name Narmada Queen offers a joyful ride for the tourists on the reservoir water. One can enjoy other amusements like the ride on speeding boat, water scooters, paddle boating. One can spot birds flocking at the surroundings of the reservoir. The main attraction of Bargi Dam is the peace and motionless of the water that introduces a feeling of oneself.
Some other places of interest near the Bargi reservoir along with their distances are mentioned below
- Tilwara Ghat is located at a distance of 19.3 km
- Sangram Sagar Lake is located at a distance of 22.4 km
- Bajnamath Mandir is located at a distance of 22.5 km
- Balancing Rock is located at a distance of 23 km
- Madan Mahal Fort is located at a distance of 23 km
- Dhuandhar Waterfall is located at a distance of 24 km
- Bhedaghat Marble Rocks is located at a distance of 24 km
- Chausatyogini Mandir is located at a distance of 24.5 km
- Rani Durgavati – Memorial and Museum is located at a distance of 25 km
Means of Commutation to Bargi
The Bargi dam at which this beautiful reservoir is located is well connected to other places in India. The distance of the reservoir via road from some of the cities in the state of Madhya Pradesh and other neighboring states are given below
- Nagpur is located at a distance of 377 km
- Jabalpur is located at a distance of 32km
- Seoni is located at a distance of 158 km
- Chhindwara is located at a distance of 227 km
- Indore is located at a distance of 515 km
There are trains available on a regular basis from Indore to Bargi.
The nearest airport to Bargi reservoir is the Indira Gandhi Airport at Delhi located at a distance of 699 km.
Accommodation Options at Bargi
There are plenty of hotels and resorts with beautiful interiors and amazing decors in Bargi. Some of the names of these hotels are mentioned below:
- Maikal Resort
- The Samdariya Hotel
- Welcome Heritage Narmada Jacksons
- Hotel Samdariya Inn
- Satya Ashoka Resort
- Hotel Siddhartha Inn
- Clarks Khajuraho
- The Lalit Temple View
- Shri Krishna Jungle Resort
- The Pride Hotel
- Green Park Hyderabad
- One Continent Atria
- AT Home Apartment Hotel
- The City Park