Best Tourist Attractions in Balaghat, Madhya Pradesh, India
The city Balaghat is located in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. The city forms the center of operation for the district of Balaghat. Previously the city was called Burha. The geographical coordinates puts the place at 21.80 N and 80.180 E. The district is situated at 290 meters above sea level. During the summer season, the average temperature is 420 C and in winter season the temperature can drop to -100 C.
History of Balaghat
In the pre-colonial times, the place was ruled by Ashoka. Later the Parmar dynasty ruled Balaghat. They were then overthrown by the Kalachuri dynasty who expanded their kingdom boundaries towards the eastern parts of the country, India.
In the early 13th century, the Gonds took over the reign of Balaghat. During the reign of Gonds the city thrived and flourished. After the collapse of the Gonds the Marathas ruled. Later, in the 19th century the British conquered the city of Balaghat and established their supremacy.
In 1947, after India sought independence from the British Raj, Balaghat was merged with Madhya Pradesh state.
People & Culture at Balaghat
The city, Balaghat has a rich and diverse culture with people from all religion, caste and sect reside in and around Balaghat. The languages spoken by the people are Hindi and English with Hindi being the official language.
Many festivals such as Sri Krishna Janmasthami, Navarathri, Diwali etc., are celebrated in a grand way throughout Balaghat.
Agriculture is one of the main occupations of Balaghat region. Different crops are grown depending on the changing seasons.
Food and Shopping in Balaghat
The city, Balaghat offers a wide range of Multi – cuisine, both vegetarian and non- vegetarian.
Balaghat is renowned for its magnificent fine arts and crafts.
Tourist Places in Balaghat
There are many places of religious importance with magnificent landscapes and amazing architectures in Balaghat. The place also is abundant with picturesque scenes. Some of these places of interest are mentioned below:
- Devdari Falls
- Botanical Garden
- Kalipat Temple
- Hanuman Temple near JSTPG College
- Moti Talav
- Hatta Ki Bawari
- Judwa Mandir
- Old Jama Majid
- Hatta Ka Gadtha Mandir
- Hanuman Chowk
- Khairgaon Dam
- Bhatera Chowki
- Malajkhand Copper Mines
- Bharveli Manganese Mines
- Baihar Road
Some other places of interest in and around Balaghat are
- Kanha National Park located at a distance of 113 Km from the city Balaghat.
- Bajrang Ghat happens to be an ideal natural swimming pool. Small temples are located next to the river banks.
- Kaliputli a place located near the Balaghat Bus station has derived its name from the black statue impersonating a woman with an earthen pot carved from a single stone.
- Rampaili Temple located in Rampaili village is at a distance of 30km from Balaghat city. There is a myth associated with the Rampaili temple. Shri Rama from the Ramayana era was on the way to Sri Lanka. He made a Shivalinga from the sand. Ever since that era the Shivalinga still exists and a temple is built around it.
- Gomji-Somji/Jwala Devi Temple is located at the apex of Bharveli Mountain which is located at a distance of 12 km from the city.
- Malajkhand Copper Mines is located at a distance of 92 km from the city, Balaghat.
- Gangulpara Dam is located at a distance of 15 km from the city of Balaghat. The place around the dam is surrounded with natural landscapes of interest.
- Old Ram Mandir is at a distance of 1.5 km from the city, Balaghat.
- Lanji Fort is located to the south-east of Balaghat and has 52 beautiful lakes.
- Nahlesara Dam, one of the oldest dams, is situated at a distance of 58 km from Balaghat city.
- Kosmi located at a few distance from the city, Balaghat has become an important industrial area.
Means of Commutation to Balaghat
The city, Balaghat can be accessed via road, from the cities within the state of Madhya Pradesh and cities from neighboring states. The distance of various cities from Balaghat is given below
- Nagpur is at a distance of 175 km
- Jabalpur is at a distance of 187 km
- Amarkantak is at a distance of 303 km
- Delhi is at a distance of 980 km
- Hyderabad is at a distance of 662 km
Inter city transportation is facilitated by bus, taxis and auto rickshaws.
There are plenty of trains from Jabalpur on a daily basis which pass through the Balaghat railway station.
Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport is 177 km from the city of Balaghat. This airport connects Balaghat to the rest of the world.
Accommodation Options at Balaghat
There are plenty of hotels and resorts in and around Balaghat. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Hotel Vaidya Regency
- Hotel City Pride
- Hotel Al Zaiqa
- Hotel Kahna Treasure In Forest
- India Sun Hotel
- Hotel Dua Continental
- Hotel Rama
- Shree Gayatri Inn