Marine Life at Netrani Island, Murudeshwara, Karnataka
This is the well-known beach that is also named as Diver’s Paradise. You can find a lot of coral reefs, nesting birds and a collection of fishes in water. It is located in Karnataka, near Murdeshwar. It has the spectacular statue of Lord Shiva that is the tallest in the world. People call this beach as the Netragudo. You will be provided with all kinds of facilities required for your tour. The divers can enjoy the view of the underwater environment. It has a depth of 5 to 45 meters and the visibility ranges from 20 to 35 meters. The winds, tides and the currents will accompany the divers. The divers should carry all the safety measures like the scuba gear, air compressors and air tanks. It is just 1-hour journey from Murdeshwar by boat.
It’s a great place to snorkel and discover scuba diving. You don’t have to be a pro to dive. Qualified and experienced divers would give you an orientation and introduction to diving. They would further accompany you under water where they would guide and help you dive to be close enough to kiss the fish
You can enjoy watching the marine life. Some of the famous diving spots are:
- Jenny’s Aquarium: you can watch the barracudas.
- Grand Central Station: you can enjoy the view of a large number of fishes and it also includes the Hawks-bill turtle, batfishes, big needlefishes and the odd snowflake eel.
- Nursery: you will have the opportunity to watch the moray eels, triggerfishes, gobies, scorpion fishes, and yellow shrimp.
- Dinny’s Delight: this is a place for the divers who have the facility to have a watch of the multicoloured sea slugs in different shapes, sergeant majors, parrot-fishes, butterfly fishes and puffer-fishes.
- The Abyss: this is place for the divers to enjoy their diving in a more adventurous way.
Aladin’s Cave: this is the cave that is the most famous diving spots.
- Cul De Sac: you can view a variety of fishes and sea creatures.
This is the place where you can experience the great view of the marine life creatures like the Cobia’s resembling sharks, triggerfish, fusiliers, parrotfish, squirrelfish and trevallies. This is the beach that is well known for the diving lovers. The nearest airport to this beach is at the Mangalore and Bangalore and you can approach it by boat.
Best Time to Visit
Scuba Diving at Netrani Island
How to Reach Netrani Island
Air: Mangalore serves as the nearest airport city to Murudeshwar if you are planning an underwater expedition. It is situated 153 kms south of your destination. Taxis are easily available that connect the two cities.
Rail: Murudeshwar Railway station is well connected to major cities of India via Mumbai and Mangalore. The station is just 2 kms east of the town and one can reach there by bus or an auto rickshaw. A boat ride of 70-90 minutes will take you to Netrani.